Sunday, July 20, 2008

Week 5: Project 5c

1. Who is your classmate, what is the component category, what is the name of the choice?

My classmate is Carolyn Sandine. It is component 4A. The choice is Bievenidos a Newport Beach by Firoozeb Dumas.

2. What is something this classmate said about the choice that relates to any of the assignments in project 2-3?

The classmate said the essay reminds her of the stereotypical Southern California family. She then goes on to describe this stereotype. This reminds me of projects 2 and 3 because we were required to list the stereotypes of the area we were taking a trip to. I think it is important to not stereotype other because you may assume something that is totally false.

3. What is something different this classmate said about their choice that you did not realize before when you completed projects 2-3?

This classmate said that the family had to follow strict guidelines in their neighborhood. They had to take in the trash promptly after the trash truck came, and they had to park their cars on the side of the house. I didn't realize that beyond the look of an area their is also a social code that you must observe. This reminds me of the Beverly Hills story I read in which the author picks up on the social code very well.

4. How would you relate this to Freire's ideas regarding dialogue?

I feel Freire would see this as a learning experience and an educational dialogue. My classmate is passing on the knowledge of social codes to me. I am learning, and in the process so is my classmate. To teach is to know. It is impossible to share knowledge without a deep understanding of what is to be explained.

5. How has project 2 and 3 helped you with the readings of the textbook?

Projects two and three got my observation sensors buzzing. It awoke my senses. I think alot of the time we go through life and never stop and smell the roses. We see them, we know they smell well, but we never take the time to really discover them because our preconception of them deems the task a waste of time.

No comments: