Sunday, July 20, 2008

Week 5: Project 5b

1) Who is your classmate, what is the component category, what is the name of the choice?

My classmate is Genevieve Hubley. This is from component 4A. My choice is Ode to Caltrans by Hector Tobar.

2) What is something this classmate said about the choice that relates to any of the assignments in projects 2-3?

Genevieve describes the freeways of California in her summary of Ode to Caltrans. This reminds me of the online trips we took in project 2. In both cases vivid sceneries are described allowing the reader to feel like they are really there. This seems to be the style of all the stories of My California. They are each authors description of their part of California the way they see it.

3: What is something different this classmate said about the choice that you did not realize before when you completed projects 2-3?

This classmate mentions how the author makes very detailed observations. Previously, when I completed projects 2 and 3, I didn't realize you could make such detailed observations. I just described the obvious. Now I know that when describing something you should do it in detail.

4. How would you relate this to Freire's ideas regarding dialogue?

I think Freire would appreciate the fact that my classmate has noted the author's attention to detail and then enlightened myself about it. This is the process of expansion of knowledge. Dialogue is the sharing of observations and learned knowledge.

5. How has project 2-3 helped you with the readings of the textbook?

Projects 2 and 3 basically put me in the shoes of the authors themselves. Each author is writing about there part of California. Projects 2 and 3 forced us to do the same thing. The projects gave us students a perspective and framework to better understand the textbook.

No comments: