Sunday, July 6, 2008

Week 3: 3C Inland Areas "Chico vs. Napa Valley"

Chico Vs. Napa Valley

How this component connects to my study of Humanities:

This component connects to my study of Humanities because it demonstrates my ability to analyze, compare, and contrast. I will answer a set of questions that ask for these vary qualities and comparisons.

Assumptions and Stereotypes of these places:

Chico:
Chico is stereotyped as a college town. It is seen as a wild party place with college kids who drink alcohol and use drugs. It is also stereotyped as being a middle class town, and having nice restraunts and bars.

Napa Valley:
Napa Valley is stereotyped as a rich wine country. It is seen as a haven for rich wine enthusiasts and as such it has an aura of fame and beauty about it.

Three similarities between the two:

1) Both Chico and Napa Valley have an active night life.

2) Both Chico and Napa Valley have a rich culture of both hispanic and caucasion individuals.

3) Both Chico and Napa Valley are situated in Northern California, and are agricultural towns.

Three differences between the two:

1) Napa valley is not a college town, while Chico is.

2) Napa valley attracts very affluent tourists, while Chico attracts low income college aged individuals.

3) Chico has undergone considerable reconstruction to modernize the town, while Napa has strived to keep its historical roots alive.

My Question:

I know the culture surrounding the wine industry is very much aligned with high income individuals. Are there lower class individuals who enjoy the wine industry?

What I learned from another student:

David Kim taught me that UC Berkely is located on the eastern side of San Francisco Bay. I found this to be interesting because the education of individuals is so shaped by the location of schools. For example, I will be taking a 7:30 am class this fall. Since I live in Cloverdale, I must wake up at 5:30 am to get to class on time. This will be a hardship for me that someone who lives in Santa Rosa will not have to face. How will this affect my grade? I ask this question everyday of my life!

Links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chico%2C_California

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napa_Valley

No comments: